Friday, May 18, 2007

Why We Are Adopting

Sorry that I am slow to post this week. Amy, Turner and Carter are in for a visit from California and we are taking every opportunity we have to spend time with them. Turner is amazing with her knowledge of dinosaurs! Nathan says that she could school any adult in a game of "Are you smarter than a three year old - Dinosaur Edition!"

We don't have any news this week on the adoption, except that after part two of our application and our home study are approved, the expected wait is about one year. There may be some slow weeks on my blog. I figure this is a good way to keep busy while we wait.

Since this was a slow week, I thought I would share with you how we have come to the decision to adopt and why we chose South Korea. Hang on...this may be a long post.

My Mom says that I have wanted to adopt ever since she can remember. My earliest memories of wanting to adopt are seeing the Romanian orphanages on 20/20 when I was in high school. I begged my parents to adopt. When Nathan and I were dating, we talked about how we both had a desire to adopt. Our original plan was to have a child and adopt a child, but God seems to have a plan all of His own sometimes.

We both agreed right away that we had a very short fuse with infertility treatments. We think that everyone has to come to their own decision about this. We have close friends who have gone to great lengths to have their babies and we think that is great. For us, we felt that since we have such a heart for adoption and considering my age (my Dad says I am "no spring chicken"), we felt that we would opt for adoption after a year of trying on our own, both of us having test and two rounds of Clomid.

As far as South Korea, Nathan has thought for sometime that he would like to adopt from South Korea. I had more of a heart for a Latin American country or possibly China. I did a lot of reading and talking to other people who have adopted and South Korea seemed like a natural fit for us. We are both thrilled! At this point, we plan to adopt from China next (this is subject to change).

So that is the short version! I could talk your ear off about the subject. If you are interested in adoption, let me know and I can suggest some books and websites to help you learn more. Someone gave me advice to do my homework on the subject. I took them seriously, I bought way too many books - I would be glad to share.

Have a great week. Watch next week for updated pictures of Turner and Carter.

1 comment:

amy said...

Love the pics! Of course, I'm a tad biased. Thanks so much for spending so much time with us. It means the world to that little girl that her aunt and uncle love her so much. She has talked non-stop about Uncle Nathan being a dinosaur and also how she and Aunt Emily had to roll Nathan the turtle over so he wasn't on his back. We had such a good time and can't wait to see y'all again. Love to you both!