Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Decision to Adopt

I have blogged about this decision before, so you may already know some of this story. For those of you who don't know our story, here it is.

So...you know how it goes for most women, you have your whole life planned out...married by 25, 3.5 kids, a dog and a cottage house with a white picket fence!

I didn't have that much of a detailed plan, but I have for as long as I can remember, wanted to adopt a baby. I remember seeing the plight of the Romanian orphans on 20/20 and begging my parents to adopt a baby. I promised to take care of it. My heart couldn't bear to see those children suffer and not act. My parents, in their wisdom beyond mine, knew that at the age of 15, I was not ready to take care of a baby and further more, they were finished having babies in their house. Mom says that this was not the first time I had mentioned to her that I wanted to adopt, but this is the first time I remember my heart aching for children who didn't have a home of their own.

Life went on for me and I find myself in my late 20's dating Nathan. We talked about how many children we each wanted. I would love to have three, he only wants two and I am o.k. with two. I mentioned to him that I had always wanted to adopt and that frankly I had little desire to carry a child in my womb. I explained to him that I had always envisioned myself raising a child that I did not give birth to. He said he was totally fine with that. So here is where "our plan" comes into play. Our plan was to have a homegrown child and a child through adoption. Sounds like a great plan, right? That would be a great plan, but it was not God's plan.

After about two and a half to three years of being married, we noticed that our arms and laps were lonely. We were ready to start to build our family. Without going into a lot of details, we were not successful. I went to my doctor who did all sorts of tests on both of us, only to say that it was possible, but not probable for us to conceive. We didn't get a lot of definitive answers, but we were told that we could being to go down the path of fertility treatments. I think that in general fertility treatments are a great thing for a lot of people, we just didn't have a high tolerance for such. As you know, these treatments can be very expensive and you have no guarantees. To be quite honest, we didn't have time to waste. I was at least 35 or 36 years old at this point. We tried a couple of rounds of fertility medication with no success and that was it for us, we were ready to pursue adoption.

We talked and prayed things over and we decided that International Adoption from Korea was the best choice for us. You can read more about that decision here. After making that decision, I became ill. That is another blog for another day. After recovering from the illness, we found out that I have a condition that would make it dangerous for me to carry a child. Does God know what He is doing or what? It is no coincidence that God placed the desire in my heart to adopt! It is exactly the plan He had for me for my whole life.

We are thrilled with our decision and we know that God is in our plan. All along our path, we have seen God at work. It is our pleasure to be a part of what He has in store for our sweet baby. On days that I feel discouraged (kind of like today) that we will never get a referral, I try to remember that God is in control of this plan, not me. He knows what He is doing. I know He is working behind the scenes on my behalf.

It has been so much fun for me to write "Our Story." Thanks to all of you who have read along. I can't wait to add to this story as life goes on for us.

9 comments:

Meredith said...

What a neat story of God's provision. Just more proof that we may not always understand, but can always know that he is at work. I've enjoyed your story!

Mandy said...

I can't wait to read more of your story--such as, "and baby makes three"!! You are so right when you talk about God being in control. It may not always make sense to us in our current situation; but, when we are able to look in hindsight, we can see His infinite wisdom! Hang in there!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Isn't it amazing how things work out exactly as they are supposed to? I too have always wanted to adopt... and now that we are, I realize this is most definitely the path we should be taking!

Matt and Jolee said...

I have to admit, I've wondered what the "behind the scenes" were for you deciding to adopt. It sounds like its always been in your heart and God's had everything set along the way. You're going to be a great mommy!

Yvonne and Eric said...

What an amazing story, thanks for sharing! I know waiting for your referral is difficult, but just know that your baby is preparing to join your family soon. S/he is probably out there right now being loved in preparation to join her/his forever family.

Yvonne

Peter and Nancy said...

Hello Emily -- we are a Dillon family too. We brought home our daughter Anya Rashi from India seven months ago. I really enjoyed your sweet love story! We blog at www.indiatoappleton.blogspot.com
Blessings to you as you wait for your child!
Nancy

Peter and Nancy said...

Too funny!! I found your blog through the Dillon web site, but now I know you're the same Nathan and Emily on Katy's and Joe's sites. It certainly is a small world. We know them from church in Wisconsin -- they're such awesome people. Small world indeed!
Nancy

The Family Marsico said...

Sounds familiar...

The beginnings of our stories have much in common. I am so glad that you have found your little one. I thank God for mine everyday - even when she's being terrible and two.

Bring him home...

Unknown said...

Yours is truly an inspirational story! What a blessing to have little Owen in your lives. Some friends of mine have been trying to find out about adoptions of Illinois couples. I wonder if the adoption process is very different between Arkansas and Illinois?