Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Home Study Part 1, Completed!

Yesterday, Nathan and I completed part of our home study. We had an interview as a couple and then I had my individual interview. From what I can tell, everything went well. It is very interesting to have someone (a total stranger) come to inspect your home for safety (which is the next visit) and to ask you very personal questions. We felt very comfortable and had no problem opening up to the social worker. Of course, it is rare to find Nathan or myself at a loss for words!

The next step is for Nathan to complete an individual interview and for the social worker to do a safety inspection of our home. She was very careful to call it a "safety inspection" so that she didn't give the idea it was a "cleanliness" inspection. There are certain safety requirements the state has for anyone who wants to adopt, such as a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, smoke detectors and a first aid kit, to name a few. We hope that this interview can take place in the next two to three weeks.

Several people asked me about this interview and most commented that they knew a few parents that they wished had to go through this process before they were "allowed" to have a "homemade" baby. The way I look at it is that everyone should have smoke detectors, first aid kits and a fire escape plan for their home and it is probably a good idea to force us to do it because we might not have thought about it other wise. As far as the questions go, that is good for us too. The social worker gave us a lot of things to think about and study up on. We love to do this, so we were happy for the suggestions.

One funny thing...she asked how we would cope with the wait. I assured her I was a pro, after all I waited 7 years to marry this guy! Nathan was worth the wait and this baby will be too. Could someone please remind me of this in about 8 months?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so excited for you guys! Maybe all of these "interviews" and "inspections" will make the waiting time go faster.

Mandy said...

Hey- at least you won't have "cankles" while you wait! It's exciting that everything is starting to take shape! The waiting will SO be worth it!!!

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting! It won't be any time at all before you're holding the precious child that God has already chosen for you. The time will fly by, Emily! I predict that in no time, you'll be wondering where all of the prep time went. *G*