Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Adoption Book Review



Over the last year or so, I have done a lot of research on adoption. Seldom do Nathan and I do anything without diving head first into research. In fact, at first, Nathan worried that I was going to get what he called "adoption research burnout." Well, I didn't. I have come across some great books that I would like to share with you. Since Nathan and I are readers, the books I review will sometimes be on subjects other than adoption. Reading, we think, will be a great way to pass the time while we are waiting for our baby to arrive.

The book, Successful Adoption: A Guide for Christian Families, is a must read for Christians who are interested in adoption.

In her book, Natalie Gillespie (an adoptive parent herself), goes through in detail the steps and thought processes involved in adopting a child either domestically or internationally from both a practical and spiritual standpoint.

The book was like a great skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep it interesting. Successful Adoptions is full of great resource information including checklists, phone numbers, timelines and sample documents.

Additionally, this book gives heartwarming stories of Christians (most of whom you will recognize) who are either adoptive parents or adoptees. These real life stories are very inspiring. This book is well written in both its content and sentiment.

On a final note, congratulations to Eric and Nicole Echols who have accepted a referral of a 4 year old little girl from Taiwan. We are praying that you can bring Emma home soon!

1 comment:

Sisters said...

"Like a skirt"...you crack me up, Em!
AJL