Sunday, April 20, 2008

Adoption Education


There is not a whole lot to update. We are in a waiting phase. We expect our wait to be anywhere from 5 months to 11 months. I know that is a big range, but that is what we have been told. We are hoping to have the baby home by Christmas.

Right now we are focusing on educating ourselves on parenting and adopting issues. I have been taking internet courses, which have been surprisingly interesting. Nathan is responsible for the required book reading (including a small book report).

So far I have taken a class on attachment and a class on being a "conspicuous family." I wasn't very familiar with either of these concepts prior to our adoption process. Sure, I knew it was important for babies to bond with their parents, but I didn't think a lot about attachment issues. It is just one of those things that you assume that if you love and nurture a baby it will happen automatically. Well, that is not necessarily the case. We will have to work hard to build a trust relationship and make sure the baby knows we are its parents.

A "conspicuous family" is one in which it is obvious that the baby is adopted. How do you handle comments? What do you do to make sure the baby sees other families like yours or sees people of his/her race? I am glad we have had the opportunity to think about theses issues prior to being handed a little bundle of joy. One thing this class has made me think twice about are comments I make both to conspicuous families and to people who ask questions. My answers to people tend to fall on the sarcastic side - not always an appropiate option, but it makes me laugh. I am not sarcastic because I am offended by the question, the sarcastic answer just makes me laugh. For example if someone were to say to us "He must look like his Dad," I would be tempeted to say "I don't know, I never met his Dad." If someone were to say "Are you going to tell her she is adopted?" I would say "No, we think she will never know." You get the point, the sarcastic answer is just more fun for me.

This weekend we are attending a parenting class that our adoption agency is hosting. It is in Tulsa and we are looking forward to a little get away. Along with other things, we will actually learn how to change a diaper! Don't laugh, but I actually am not confident in this area. Nathan bursts out in laughter at the three or four times he has seen me complete this task.

Have a great week!

6 comments:

amy said...

you know you are welcome to diaper changing sessions any time! and about the sarcasm, i wish you would quit that. no one in our family is like that! =)

Yvonne and Eric said...

So NOT laughing here! It's probably been 15 years or so since I've changed a diaper (and longer for Eric). I have a hunch, though, that we'll all be pros within a day or 2 of having our babies homes (ahhhh...doesn't that sound great? Having our babies HOME...).

YvonneW

Dania Efird said...

Changing diapers....that task is fortunately not a thing in the too distant past. You'll catch on really quickly though! I tend to like the sarcastic answers too. Like people aren't going realize that our babies are adopted! Have fun at the workshop this weekend!

Matt and Jolee said...

Sounds fun. Have a great time this weekend! Don't worry about the diaper changing thing, you'll get plenty of practice when the baby comes :)

Becky said...

Hi again, I've commented once before and was just checking in on your progress! I enjoy seeing how God is working in other people's lives through adoption.
Don't worry about the bonding! It came very easily and naturally with both of mine. We had them each at 8 days old. When they are newborns or infants, they quickly learn and know who their primary caretakers are. I'm sure things can be very different when they are older.
If you have questions or need encouragement, please pop over to my blog and get in touch!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

so glad to discover you on facebook and then to see your blog link. We miss seeing you guys and are excited about your adoption story!

Susan DeWoody