Monday, April 14, 2008

Storms of Life

The last year has been a rough one for us. We have both had major job changes, I have had health issues, we have started the adoption process and have had family illnesses just to name the "biggies."

This last week, we experienced a literal storm. Our home and both our cars took hits from hail the size of tennis balls. We are in the process of dealing with insurance, repair companies and trying to stay calm. Frankly right now, we are both so tired, it is hard to focus on one more thing.

All that to say that through it all God has been faithful. During tough times in life, I have tried to look back God's faithfulness to me. Everywhere I look, I see His faithfulness. Two Sunday's ago our choir sang a song that said something like "When darkness hides His face, faithful He remains." That one line stood out to me and I had no idea how much I would need it the very next week.

First and foremost, we are safe. No physical harm came to us, our family or our friends during this recent storm. Our home is standing and we are able to live in it.

I have learned lots of lessons along the way. What it boils down to in each of these situations is my reaction. Do I blame God or do I seek Him, His care and His guidance? Do I trust that He loves me has my best interest at heart? Am I as patient with others as He is with me?

God does love me and want what is best for me. He knows that we will have storms in our life and He is ready and waiting to help us through them. Remember when He was in the boat with His disciples and a storm came up? Jesus was calmly sleeping in the boat while everyone else started to panic. At the right time, He stood and said "Peace be still!" and the waves were forced to obey. It is like that with us too. He is not surprised, He does not panic and He is in charge. I am thankful that our God is like that, it is just what I need.

4 comments:

Sisters said...

I needed this post today. Thank you for writing it. I do hope all the repairs from the storm get seen to quickly.
AJL

amy said...

Yep. That was good. Your words were really encouraging to me this morning, and you're right, God is in control and has been and continues to be faithful, even if we aren't. Glad you are safe, and we'll pray the insurance process goes smoothly and quickly. Love you both!

Dania Efird said...

He is always in control whether we want to pay attention to that or not! I didn't even think about you guys getting hit by those storms last week. My family didn't see any of the at their house, they said they all hit on the other end of town. So sorry about all the damage. There's a sign on one of the churches I pass to come home every day and a while back it said, God never said the path would be easy, He just promised to be there with us.

Mandy said...

Thank you Em! I needed those words!! God always brings us someone to give us something we need to hear, and today it was you for me! I'm glad you guys are safe! Our poor kids are dealing with the destruction of their homes and cars- and trying to focus on taking that darn test! Thanks, again, for the great post!