Monday, May 19, 2008

Amazed!

Sunday nights we eat dinner after church with our friends from church. For the most part the group is mainly couples/families from our small group at church. In my opinion, regular fellowship time is something that keeps our group close. Whether it is dinner after church, girls' night out or guys' night, it all plays a big role in group cohesion. We love our Sunday night dinner with friends and look forward to it every week. This Sunday night was our last regular date until after the summer. We will have a couple of fellowships over the summer, but as for "go to church then eat" - this is finished until August when our regular schedule resumes.

Back to the whole point of this post, before I launched into the "How much I love spending time with my friends" ramble.

Here is the scene:

1 Small Pizza Parlour
12 Adults
9 Children under the age of 5
Toddlers with the guys, babies with the girls

Favorite quote of the night, "Dad I want a plate of..." the Dad "I want a big plate of SHHHHH!"

Last night as we sat waiting for our pizzas to be served, I watched my friends in amazement. How do they know to feed their kids noodles? How do they always have a packet of crackers ready to pull out in an instant? How do they manage to eat a single bite of food while wrestling a 15 month old who moves with the agility and speed of a helicopter? How do they manage to have a complete sentence of adult conversation? At one point, one of the Moms looked at me and said "You look deep in thought, what are you thinking about?" Well, now she knows. It was a combination of amazement and fear. Amazement that they all seemed to handle the situation with ease and fear that I have no idea what I am getting myself into.

To all my friends who are moms, you amaze me! I hope to handle the situations we will have with half as much grace as you do.

We will miss our Sunday night dinners until August, but we will look forward to times of good fellowship over the summer. After all our small group won $50 in our game of "Are You Smarter Than the Pastor?" last night. I think I have a just the plan on how to spend that!

4 comments:

Micah and Sunny said...

Love this post! This is SOOO like our small group. I love it. I love the craziness of it all. Mommy's are amazing. You will catch on incredibly fast. I think it is just something God gives intrinsically. It is just built in. Once you look into the eyes of your child, it is done!!

Can't wait for your referral. It is getting closer..YIKES! Closer for us, too.

God Bless!

Sunny K (from Dillon)

Yvonne and Eric said...

Isn't it interesting how quickly we can go from excitement and anticipation to "Oh my gosh, there's no way I can do that!"? I have those panicky thoughts on a regular basis, but it brings me such comfort to know that my partner will be there and that we'll be doing this together. Boy, now I'm seeing just how important it is to pick a good one to marry!

YvonneW

Emily said...

I agree Yvonne! I have often said I have more confidence in Nathan's ablity to parent than mine. I am hoping that we each bring things to the table.

I am like you, so glad I have the husband I do - we will get through this together. I am also glad for those girlfriends who have already paved the way.

Here is to hoping for quick referrals for all three of us - Sunny, Yvonne and me!

Dania Efird said...

Kuddos to what everyone has said! You will catch on very quickly. I'm at a slightly different place this time around. Instead of asking how am I am going to handle my child, I'm asking how in the world am I going to do this with three kids when I can barely keep up with the two that I already have! Brent's a great help, but he has a crazy work schedule so I'm on my own quite a bit, it will be very interesting and probably pretty entertaining to see me out and about trying to remember that, yes, I did bring my kids with me tonight, but I have absolutely no idea where they are right now!