Monday, May 12, 2008

Waiting

As of now, we have been officially waiting since February 25, 2008. In a few short days it will be that we have been officially waiting for three months. Time does fly...some days that is. Other days waiting three to six more months seems like when we were kids and we waited for our birthday, the end of school or for Christmas. My birthday is in March and I can remember as a kid starting to ask my Mom in January what kind of birthday party I would have. "Please Mom, can it be a slumber party? I will only invite a few people!" I couldn't wait! I remember how long long the days between Spring break and Summer break seemed. Sitting in that hot, un-air conditioned class room seemed like torture as I sat there with visions of swimming pools and family vacations floating in my head. Don't even mention the wait until Christmas!

As an adult, I have found myself waiting time and time again. What is it that God is trying to teach me with all this waiting? There must be a point to all the "in between times" in life where I am waiting for this or that big event.

So here we are today, waiting again. This time we wait for our baby. We also have the realization that right now, this baby maybe waiting on us too. God will be faithful in our journey to each other and He will make us a family.

This adoption, for me, will be the realization of a life long dream but this tiny bundle of joy will not be in my arms for probably six months. The other day as I was thinking about that wait, I realized that I have a lot of life to live in the mean time. Next month Amy and kids will come for a visit, I have three friends expecting babies of their own, countless friends whom I wish to celebrate will turn another year older and much more of life will occur. Wouldn't it be a shame for me to miss all that in between stuff? So for now I struggle with the balance of preparing for this baby and celebrating the life that is happening all around me.

As we wait for this baby we pray "Please Lord, let someone love our baby right now while we can't be with him/her. Please protect our precious little one. You know the plans you have for us and we will wait on You."

7 comments:

Micah and Sunny said...

Our prayers go out to you, as you wait. It is such a different/strange/hard/emotional (can't think of the right word) feeling to know that our children are alive, outside the womb and that we can't be physically loving on them. Hard.

God is so good, though. I was reminding myself tonight as I was thinking of baby. His thoughts are higher than ours, His plan way, way better than mine.

Patience to you. Blessings as you wait.

Now...come on REFERRALS :) hehe.

Sunny (waiting for baby number 3, first adoption)

Dania Efird said...

"Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord" Chris Tomlin

I love that song. Waiting in the Lord....it sometimes takes all the strength that we have.

And I agree with Sunny, come on referrals!!!

Melissa Southerland said...

It won't be long before he/she gets here and I can't wait to see what he/she looks like. I thought about you Sunday at baby dedication....just think, next year y'all will be up there with your bundle of joy :)

Love ya!
Melissa

kathy davis said...

I can hardly wait for you to hold that baby in your arms. If only all babies could and would be loved as much as yours will and already is.
Kathy Davis

amy said...

i love how you ended this post. it is soooo hard to wait, for anything that is worth waiting for. you know i read something the other day that said as parents, we are always waiting for something, for their arrival, for them to crawl, talk, grow up, get out of dance or karate class, choose the right college, mate, etc...and then we wait for grandkids. i think you hit on the most important thing, it's what we do with that in-between time that counts. it helps so much, as one who always seems to be waiting on my man to come home, to have things to look forward to, a little at a time. we're looking forward to seeing our auntie em and uncle nathan! love to you both!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what God is trying to teach you, Emily. I just know that in my own walk with Him, He's trying very gently to teach me to live fully in each and every moment. It's my responsibility to simply live life, on life's terms. It requires a lot of patience and a whole lot of admitting that I just don't know what's around the bend. In the end, it doesn't really matter because God has made perfect plans for each of us.

Sisters said...

Doesn't the anticipation of seeing that sweet baby make you want to dance and shout?! I am waiting on things in my own life right now and I have decided to get excited about the destination while on the road/journey. It sure makes the tough days a bit more managebale.
I can't wait to see your baby!
AJL