Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What's In a Name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet." Juliet from Romeo and Juliet William Shakespeare

We made the decision to change Owen's name from his Korean name to a more American sounding name. Months ago I saw the name Owen in a magazine and asked Nathan what he thought...he immediately loved it. Since then there has been no change in what our son's name would be. We thought it would be nice to keep part of his Korean heritage if it sounded ok, but we had no formal plans to do so.

A few weeks later I pitched the idea of using the middle name of Ross to Nathan. He liked the sound of it. I wanted to use it because it was my Great Grandmother's Married name and the name by which I know her "Grandma Ross." She is very special to me. She lived to be over 100 years old. Every Christmas Eve when I was growing up was spent with my Mom's parents and my Grandpa and Grandma Ross. Their love was a one that lasted. I remember attending their 70th wedding anniversary celebration. She was one of the kindest people I knew. She loved her family and I always knew she loved me. I have several quilts, doilies, tablecloths and other small items around my house that she made or gave to me. She was very progressive in her thinking. I remember one time seeing her talk on my Mom's cell phone. She could remember a time when she didn't even have a telephone and here she was using my Mom's phone to talk to a relative hundreds of miles away. I think she would be thrilled with our decision to adopt and I am so thrilled to be using her name for our son.

Then, guess what happened? Our baby's last name in Korea was Lee. This happens to be Nathan's middle name, his Mom's middle name and his sister's middle name. O.K. I get it, we will keep part of his Korean heritage and we couldn't be more thrilled.

Four names is a lot for our little guy and I can't wait to hear him start to utter all four words of it. Can't you hear it now? It will be adorable.

Several of our Dillon Bulletin Board Friends have received referrals lately. I am so happy for them! It has been so fun to meet these people in the on the internet. I can't wait to meet them all in person. I know if we all lived in the same town, we would be fast friends.

You can read there stories here:
Donna who is waiting for her second baby to come home from Korea - a girl
Sunny who's excitement is contagious this will be her third child (first Korean born)
Dania who will also now be a mom to three (first Korean born)

There have been five referrals in a month! Isn't that amazing?

4 comments:

Trish said...

I love his name! It sounds great! Owen Ross Lee Williams. If Jedidiah can say Jedidiah Stephen Lightner, I think Owen will make it just fine..haha Love y'all, and am so excited for you.

Micah and Sunny said...

Wow....great reasons for his name. I think it is beautiful. What a special name for a special little guy.

COME ON LEGALS!!!!! Praying for them to come for you THIS WEEK. Let us know asap when they do...we are hanging on here for you.

Sunny

Sisters said...

He has my last name. Maybe we are related?! :)
AJL

Yvonne and Eric said...

What an awesome story to tell Owen how he was named! Don't sweat the 4 names, it's becoming more and more common. Besides, we saddled Matthew with a hyphenated last name (and my name is DEFINITELY not short!) - but both Eric and I will be changing our names too so there will only be 1 last name in the family instead of 3!

Can't wait to see Owen in your arms!

Yvonne