Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Home for 2 Weeks!

I can hardly believe it, but we have been home for two weeks. Sometimes it seems like much longer and sometimes I wonder where the time has gone. Today Owen is 9 months old!

Owen is doing great. He has learned so much (and taught us so much) in the last two weeks it is amazing. He can sign for more, he can play patty cake, he can play peek-a-boo, his sleeping habits are much improved and he seems to be attaching to momma and daddy very well. He is still eating well, tolerating his car seat, high chair and stroller well AND he has cut his first tooth. He is also pulling up by holding on to our fingers. We can hardly wait to see what changes will happen in the next two weeks.

As for the sleeping, he now seems to be on US time versus Korea time. The last few nights he wakes up in the middle of the night for a bottle feeding and that is pretty much it. Today I had to wake him up at 9:30 a.m! The sleeping arrangements are interesting! Here is a picture of our camp out that we have every night. We started out several nights ago with all three of us in the floor. We progressed to him in his crib and us on his floor until after his mid night bottle and now we are at us in our bed, Owen in his crib until after his mid night bottle and then all of us on his floor. It is quite comical, but you do what you have to do! On Friday, we are going to try going back to our bed and leaving Owen in his crib after his mid night bottle. I hope (cross your fingers) we are past the point where we had to drive him around for 30-40 minutes at night to get him to sleep - yes, we did that for two nights. We will get it all figured out and we will stop the mid night feeding soon as well. He has had so many adjustments, it is just hard to force one more thing on him.

He is a great baby and we both agree, we never knew how much we could love a child! It is a blessing to have him, God has made the three of us a family! Even though sleeping in the floor is no fun at times, I love waking up and seeing all cuddled up next to his Daddy. There is nothing sweeter.

He continues to learn to trust us, that we will feed him, that if we leave, we will come back and that we are going to take care of him. It is a daily thing for us to whisper words of reassurance to our little guy. Since Sunday, he has been very clingy to us. He is fine to go to other people, but he wants to make sure he still knows where we are. This is nice to see that he is forming attachments, but it makes it hard to get anything done.

Here is one last picture of Owen all dressed up after church in his high chair. He is ready to eat. He did great at church. He let everyone hold him and when we got home, we had a quick visit from Grammy and Grampy.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story you have told us. You have grown into parenthood so wonderfully. What fun memories are being made. Thanks for sharing your time with Owen. We love hearing from you via this blog.

kathy davis

Trish said...

Thanks for making time to post. I had wondered how you all were doing. Reading your blog brings back a ton of memories. I remember driving Jedidiah back and forth to and from Fort Chaffin, and Barling trying to get him to nap during the day. I am a bit embarassed to tell you that I have even put him in his stroller and sat it in front of the dish washer for his morning nap. Then for an afternoon nap I would put the stroller in my bedroom with the blow dryer running. Now I hear that they make these CD's with white noises...Where were these about 5 years ago?!?!?!?!or why didn't I know about them?!? Well, you and Nathan are such great parents and Owen is a precious son for you two. I look forward to continuing watching him grow. Love you all!

Sisters said...

I just love it!!
AJL

Anonymous said...

I love hearing all about Owen. Your stories are so sweet and I enjoy checking your blog often to read about how all of you are doing. I'm so happy for Owen that he has been blessed with such a loving family.
Sugar

Tracy said...

I am so happy for you and yor family. He is a beautiful baby. I love hearing all about your time home. Congratulations once again.
Tracy

Yvonne and Eric said...

It really is amazing, parenthood, isn't it? I feel like I never really understood how much my parents loved me until Matthew came home - you just can't imagine it. Owen is such a cutie and it's great to hear all that he's learned in just TWO WEEKS!

Yvonne